The mother of a one-year-old boy who died at the weekend, almost a year after being seriously injured in an alleged assault, said her son fought until his last breath.
Nathaniel was just six weeks old when he was taken to Narrogin Regional Hospital in WA’s Wheatbelt region with serious injuries in October last year.
It is understood he suffered a severe brain injury and was transferred to Princess Margaret Hospital, where he remained for several months.
Nathaniel’s mother, Erica-Leigh Lawrence, has a Facebook page with many posts of herself with her son over the past year.
Many of the posts and photos indicate Nathaniel spent much of his life in and out of hospital.
He died on September 30.
Ms Lawrence told the ABC her son was a fighter who defied doctors’ expectations.
“Nathaniel was a fighter who continued to fight until his last breath,” she said.
“We will be doing Nathaniel a beautiful garden with flowers and lighting a candle for him.”
In March of this year police charged a 25-year-old Mandurah man, who was known to the child, with causing aggravated grievous bodily harm over the October 2017 incident.
He pleaded not guilty to the charge and was released on bail.
Police responded to the boy’s death at a home in Golden Bay near Mandurah on Sunday.
Homicide squad detectives are investigating.