Notorious Tasmanian killer back behind bars and facing fresh charges

NBN U.K. News

NBN U.K. News

Posted October 23, 2018 19:14:01

Convicted Tasmanian rapist and killer Jamie John Curtis is before the courts again — this time charged with a number of criminal offences, including insurance fraud.

Key points:

  • Jamie John Curtis, convicted over the 1986 rape of a woman and the murder of her fiance, is subject to a life-long community protection order
  • He appeared in court charged with a number of offences, including insurance fraud
  • He was remanded in custody today to face court again in November

The now 63-year-old was paroled from Risdon Prison in June after serving 32 years for the state’s most horrific crimes.

He faced court today in Hobart, but did not enter any pleas to charges of making a false report to police, making a false statutory declaration and false statements, attempting to dishonestly acquire a financial advantage and 10 counts of failing to comply with a community protection order.

He is also accused of repeatedly breaching the conditions of a life-long community protection order placed on him by the courts in April by allegedly failing to tell the police he had a mobile phone, internet access, at least five online dating accounts, a Facebook account and the details of vehicles he was using.

In February 1986, Curtis, then aged 30, and a teenaged co-offender forced their way into the Glenorchy home of their 19-year-old victim, repeatedly raping and torturing her and her 22-year-old fiance Dean Allie inside their home over 12 hours.

They then drove the couple to Gretna where they stabbed Mr Allie 12 times.

Seated in the back of the court on Tuesday was the victim of his original crime, who was 19 years old at the time of the offence.

It was the first time she had seen Curtis since he was convicted of repeatedly raping and torturing her, and murdering her fiance, in 1986.

Also in court was Curtis’ new girlfriend Sharon Hayes, who he met on an online dating site within weeks of being released from Risdon Prison in June.

Police successfully applied for a restraint order in September stopping Curtis from having any contact with Ms Hayes for 12 months, telling the court they believed Curtis had caused the bruises to her face and feared he would end up seriously hurting her or killing her.

Curtis was also charged with breaching that restraining order five times in less than a month. Police alleged he drove to Prospect, a suburb of Launceston, to meet her at a hotel, phoned her, sent her messages through Facebook and had her to stay for five days at his Sandy Bay flat.

Outside the court, Ms Hayes said they were now engaged to be married.

“No they [the police] are not right [to be worried about my safety]. Would I be here today if I was worried?” she said.

Court documents reveal Curtis left the Sandy Bay unit he was living in when he allegedly committed the latest offences and is now living in a unit in Kingston.

Murder case among ‘worst one is likely to encounter’

In sentencing for the 1986 offences, then-chief justice William Cox said Curtis’s conduct was a “sustained course of brutal abduction, assault, sexual abuse and ultimately murder” over a period of 12 hours.

Chief Justice Cox noted that the conduct was “unprovoked, brutal, prolonged, indiscriminate and callous”.

“In the scale of seriousness of criminal conduct culminating in murder, this case ranks amongst the worst one is likely to encounter,” he said.

He said Curtis represented a serious danger to the community, especially when intoxicated, which warranted protection of the public from him for the rest of his life.

The Parole Board would not comment on whether the latest charges were enough to breach Curtis’ parole.

“The Parole Board is an independent statutory body that must take multiple factors into consideration when making decisions,” a department spokesman said.

The board will next meet on 5 November.

Curtis was remanded in custody to face court again in November.

Topics: law-crime-and-justice, courts-and-trials, tas, hobart-7000


You may have missed